Subscribe

  • Subscribe  

How I First Hated Google Chrome

Posted by Sravan | September 3, 2008 | 12 Comments

… and then fell in love with it.

I’m sure most of you are looking at this post tepidly having already read tomes about Google Chrome. Don’t worry; I have a feeling this will be different. There aren’t many stories about returning from the dark side.

When I first heard about Chrome and saw its screenshots, I didn’t (don’t) like the blurry blue. Within hours of the release of Google Chrome, I half-heartedly downloaded the installer on my laptop. (I hate installers that download the setup file and then install on their own.) I dislike that Google doesn’t allow users to specify the […] Continue Reading…

Getting Started With Gumbo

Posted by Sravan | September 2, 2008 | Comment

The Flex team has been sharing nightly builds of Gumbo (Flex 4 project code name). The Gumbo home page was recently updated with a number of resources. Just in time, Mike Chambers has taken pains to put together various resources that are currently available for us.

Design in Mind, Developer Productivity, and Framework Evolution are its major goals also being perceived as its themes. After the terms user-friendly and developer-friendly now seeming commonplace (though their significance doesn’t diminish), Gumbo distinguishes itself with its aim to also be designer-friendly.

The first beta release is approaching. I advise you to start with this introduction […] Continue Reading…

Rounding Up Last Week

Posted by Sravan | September 1, 2008 | Comment

We have one smart phone at last to view videos on the Internet. The latest product of Nokia N-series, N90-3 comes with Flash Lite. On the other hand, the world refuses to get over the fact that Apple’s iPhone can’t support Flash yet. It is the UK watchdog Advertising Standards Authority’s turn to give vent this time.

Flex Camp London ’08 took place recently. It apparently is the biggest Flex Camp event world wide so far.

While all of us have proclaimed the ubiquity of Flash, the product manager for Flash Player, Emmy Huang talks a lot of sense while analyzing […] Continue Reading…

Encrypted Data in Adobe AIR

Posted by Sravan | August 29, 2008 | 2 Comments

We all know that apps often store user information on our hard drives, especially to remember login credentials and customized settings. Adobe AIR allows storing this information in encrypted format (AES-CBC 128-bit encryption) for any AIR app.

In Windows, they can be stored in (and deleted from) $APPDATA\Adobe\AIR\ELS\<AIRAPP NAME> (local store), for example C:\Documents and Settings\sravan\Application Data\Adobe\AIR\ELS\<AIRAPP NAME>.

The setItem(), getItem() and removeItem() static methods of the EncryptedLocalStore class are used to store, retrieve, and remove data from the local store. setItem() has an optional parameter called ‘stronglyBound’ which when set to ‘true’ provides a higher level of security. All encrypted […] Continue Reading…

Another Social Software Client

Posted by Sravan | August 28, 2008 | Comment

 
Exactly a month ago, I reviewed Twhirl, the social software client. Posty is another such AIR app and it is not very different.

For the sake of unified microblogging across Twitter, FriendFeed, Jaiku, Pownce and Identi.ca accounts, it is definitely a very simple and straight-forward tool and works well. (Check this vimeo video for a demo.) Twhirl also takes care of Seesmic accounts, but I feel that the support exists only because Seesmic owns Twhirl.

Apart from spell-check and visualization of multimedia items, Posty’s most interesting feature is that you can browse by personal/public/friends timeline.

Posty has been tested on several Linux […] Continue Reading…

Mapping Names and Faces

Posted by Sravan | August 27, 2008 | Comment

Don’t we all have trouble remembering faces of some acquaintance we’ve met in the elevator, after a very long time or after a very brief duration in the recent past? Facesaerch (not Facesearch) is a “people face search engine” that comes to our rescue during such times.

You can search for any name and the engine, powered by Google API, shows you the possible faces. The results, therefore, are those provided, hosted, and managed by Google. The search result for “Moxie Zhiang”, e.g., shows our Moxie’s image second in the list. (Google doesn’t have my image yet.)

Images can be viewed […] Continue Reading…

Flickr Image Downloader

Posted by Sravan | August 25, 2008 | Comment

 
Flump is a wonderful example of what could be happening on AIR tours. It was put together by Lee Brimelow and Mike Chambers during the first leg of the 2007 AIR bus tour.

Flump is a cool little AIR app that can download all publicly available Flickr photos from an account. FlickrDown (open source) and Flickr AutoDownloadr are two other Windows-only tools that have similar functionality, but AIR makes this one cross-platform compatible.

The more recent version supports authentication of accounts so that users can download even images those not publicly available. At a time when Flickr is increasingly being used as an […] Continue Reading…

Love These Programming Quotes

Posted by Charles | August 23, 2008 | 6 Comments

The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time…The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time.Tom Cargill Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris.Larry Wall Measuring programming progress by lines of code is like measuring aircraft building progress by weight.Bill Gates Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, […] Continue Reading…

Your Baby’s Scrapbook

Posted by Sravan | August 22, 2008 | Comment

Babies! They fill our lives with awe and beauty. They simultaneously make us proud and humble. We would like to freeze each moment and store it forever, but neither can most of us afford it nor do we have such time to spare. That is where HowFastTheyGrow.com enters the picture.

The people behind the website developed an invaluable RIA called digi-scrapbook that is rich in all senses. Cathy Bennett, founder and mom, deserves a special mention. Digi-scrapbook is an award-winning and patent-pending app built using Flex. How Fast They Grow website won two 2007 W3 Silver Awards, in Best Visual Appeal […] Continue Reading…


<

Error. Page cannot be displayed. Please contact your service provider for more details. (10)


Direct TV Offers - usdirect has the best directtv deals